Saturday, 23 June 2012

Summer Reads


I’m glad to say that after a very busy week – hence my lack of post on Tuesday – my summer has officially begun. This summer I want to get through a lot, particularly in regards to books. 

So, I wanted to share a few books which I’m looking forward to reading. 

Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver

I read Delirium last summer and absolutely loved it. When Pandemonium came out, I desperately wanted to buy it, but I held myself back. Firstly, money was very tight and I didn’t want to go out and buy an expensive hardback copy, nor the similarly expensive Kindle version. But secondly, because Oliver has a particular way with cliff-hangers which make you want more. I resolved that it would be better for me to wait and get Pandemonium later in the year, so I would have less time to wait until the next book in the series. Thus my wait is finally coming to an end!


Endlessly by Kiersten White

This is the last in the Paranormalcy series, and I imagine it will be wonderful. White has created an excellent series, and although I’m sad to see it come to an end, I’m excited to find out what will follow Supernaturally and I’m looking forward to seeing how she concludes her first published series. This is a YA writer to watch!


The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick

Moving on from YA, I was recommended this by a fellow English student and it sounds right up my street. It’s set in a world which the Axis powers, Germany, Italy, and Japan have won a longer WW2 (finishing in 1948) after the early assassination of FDR, which ensured the Allies didn’t win. It’s dystopian science fiction and has historical elements pertaining to WW2. This book was practically written for my taste. I have high expectations of this one!


A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

This was recommended to me by the same person who recommended The Man in the High Castle, although I have to say I’ve wanted to read it for a while. Obviously I’m aware that it is a very controversial book, and some people have found in inaccessible to them, including some of my friends. I think it’s the type of book that you either immediately get to grips with and love, or end up totally bewildered and hate it. Either way, I’m curious to see what my reaction will be to this classic. 


The works of Orwell

I’m planning to read as much Orwell as I can get my hands on this summer. I’ve read Nineteen Eighty Four, Animal Farm, Homage to Catalonia and Coming Up For Air, as well as a few of his essays, and I definitely need to expand my collection. Reading Orwell makes me feel like the world makes perfect sense. His straightforward, brutally honest works says so much about that time in history, and Orwell has a way of presenting everything with perfect clarity. His style is easily distinguishable and utterly magnificent. He continues to be one of my favourites, and I hope to expand this love by the end of summer.


Those are a few of my summer selections! What are you planning on reading this summer?

2 comments:

  1. Lucky dwellers of the northern hemisphere. I'm descending into winter down here in Australia. :(

    Nice to-read list here! I'm about to read The Crucible, which I am studying in English, while I am just about to finish with the William Blake Poetry for Literature. Hmm :)

    Animal Farm... let me tell you, I don't care how good a book is, having to study it in English for a whole term decreases the enjoyment severely. :( Nonetheless, I shall endeavor to read more of George Orwell's works.

    Happy reading Fiona, and have an awesome summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot about that! Well, I hope your winter isn't too cold and miserable.

      I've heard of that, it's something I'd like to get my hands on if I could. I guess that shows you should never underestimate the power of hype and word of mouth!

      I know what you mean, studying a book can kill your enthusiasm for it, even if it is wonderful. I studied Cormac McCarthy's 'The Road' (an absolutely amazing book, I completely recommend it!) and studying did decrease my enjoyment for it somewhat. But sometimes it also makes you recognise how skilled the writer is - you end up picking up on things you'd never notice if you were only reading it!

      I strongly encourage it; Orwell is definitely one of my favourite authors.

      Thank you, Bonnee, and have a happy winter!

      Delete