Saturday, 14 July 2012

A Progress Report in Writing and Reading


Yesterday morning I woke up from a dream, and I realised that the dream had an incredible premise. As a result, I found that I desperately had to write about it. This means I’m finally writing again!

It feels good to be writing again. It’s been quite a few months and it’s nice to get back my creativity and lose myself in somebody else’s world for a while. I’ve already written 2500 words and I hope to write more in the days to come. 

I don’t know where this idea will lead. I have no concept of whether this will turn out to be a short story, a novella or even a full blown novel. For some reason, I feel like this will be a stand-alone, which is unusual for me since I don’t usually write stand-alones. Perhaps this idea won’t go anywhere at all. But needless to say, I’m excited for the prospect, and I hope that good things come of it!

Also, I’ve read a few books since my Pure Review. I finished Remains Of The Day by Kazuo Ishiguro, which I have to say I enjoyed much more than I thought I would. It was a very real and moving novel, and I’m glad I read Remains Of The Day first instead of his more well known novel, Never Let Me Go. Though saying that, I am planning to read Never Let Me Go soon. 

I also read To The Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf, which I mentioned on my last post Changes In Reading. I’m glad I stuck with it, as I enjoyed it more by the end than I had in the beginning. I think it’s one of those books I’m going to have to read twice to fully appreciate, seeing as the first part had far more significance once I read the second and third parts. 

I’m currently reading Catch-22 by Joseph Heller which I picked up from my local library on a whim, and I’m really enjoying it! Hopefully I’ll have read that by the end of the week, and I can get started on The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks. 

Have you had any ideas from unexpected places recently? Or, if you haven’t, what are some of your summer reads?

5 comments:

  1. Oh I love it when I wake up from a dream like that! I hope your idea comes to something wonderful :) I'm working on plans for my August Camp NaNo novel and I'm so excited about it, edits are killing me lol.
    I haven't read Remains of the day, but I have been eyeing it up for a while. Never let me go is a great book, I read it for college a few years back and it was one of the only ones I went back and read again! Would highly recommend it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and me too! I know what you mean, edits are fun but after a while you start to crave writing again. That's good to hear! I know there's a film about it; I vaguely know what it's about, and the plot sounds right up my street, so hopefully I'll love it too. I do highly recommend Remains of the Day. It seems strange at first, but you grow to love it.

      Delete
  2. I've been asked to write a couple of articles for an online publication and I was trying to think of some unique ideas. In the shower, I thought of doing some articles about teenager sleeping patterns and the effects of sunlight on mental health (though I'm not sure if that's a thing, thus why I'll be researching before I write!) I always think of strange things in the shower...

    They're winter reads for me, all the way down here in Australia. After the Quake, a series of short stories by Haruki Murakami, and The Crucible by Arthur Miller. I'm studying both of these at school as of Wednesday this week. :p Next on the list for school is In Cold Blood by Truman Capote and Twelve Angry Men by Reginald Rose. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Firstly, that sounds really great! I hope it all goes well, and you get to be published online again (and perhaps this time you'll actually be able to get onto the webpage for your work, unlike last time!).

      There is a condition to do with mental health and weather. It's called Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD, ironically), you may have heard of it. It basically links sunlight to happiness. So in the winter sufferers of SAD find themselves really depressed because of the lack of sunlight; there are these special lamps you can get to stimulate sunlight in the winter to help SAD sufferers feel happier. I know I definitely am impacted by sunlight in regards to my mood. Being in Britain, we get a lot of rain (it has barely stopped raining all summer) so it does make me feel down when it's awful weather, particularly now considering it's meant to be summer. I notice it a lot more in the winter - I'm definitely a summer person. But good luck with your research, anyway!

      Wow, interesting list. It seems like a pretty good range of books. I'm sort of doing the same thing; I'm trying to read the books I'll encounter on my university course, so I'm trying to go between books I want to read and books that are on the course. So far I haven't come across one I haven't liked that has been a part of my course, so that's promising!

      Delete
    2. I checked out the website for this online publications and the articles are available. There's no subscription or anything to go through, so it's all good, I'll be able to access it. AND they've said they'll send out an email to let ME know if my article was chosen. So there's a little extra proof too.

      I wrote the article and I stumbled upon some of the SAD information while I was researching, though I didn't end up referring to it directly. Perhaps I should have. The info I found didn't go into that much detail and I thought better safe than sorry.

      Glad to hear that your enjoying the books in your university course :) That's always a good thing... until you study them to death and end up unable to look at them ever again without feeling nauseous anyway... hahaha :)

      Delete