Tuesday, 28 August 2012

A Cluttered Mind Equals Distracted Writing


I’m back from my holiday and things are getting back to normal. The holidays are almost over, which means I’ll be back to part time work for a couple of weeks before I move away to university. I feel like a lot is going on for me right now, with so many things to sort out and prepare before I leave. 

Basically, my mind feels cluttered right now. With so much to do I feel like I should be doing everything at once. I still have over three weeks until I leave, so there’s plenty of time to get everything sorted, but that doesn’t seem to help me feel any less overwhelmed by it all. 

I feel like this state of mind is transferring to my writing. My desk and my study are cluttered with all the things I’ve bought for university, and it all seems like such a distraction. I know a messy room isn’t much of an excuse, but I feel like it’s just another reminder of everything I have to do. 

Considering I’m writing without an outline at the moment, this type of atmosphere does not lend itself well to creativity. But I can’t step away from writing – I don’t want to step away from writing anyway! – without it becoming a never-ending break. Besides, I promised myself at the start of this year that I wouldn’t let life get in the way of writing, and I do want to keep that promise. 

Maybe all I need is a little time to think, possibly plan, and get my focus back. It’s hard to write when you’re unfocused, and I’m definitely finding it hard right now. 

What do you think? Is it harder for you to write when you have a lot going on?

6 comments:

  1. I totally know how you feel, I'm very much the same when I'm at university, with coursework piling up and writing take a back seat. And the cluttered room thing is a total distraction for me to. One thing I find that helps is to do a bit of spring cleaning, by taking an hour or two to clean/sort my room helps me get my mind focused on something. Then once I'm done I feel like I've accomplished something and my mind is all focused and somehow it helps me write better.
    Just a suggestion :)
    Good luck with university!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least I'm not alone! Yes, I did try and do a bit of cleaning but I still need to sort out my desk, so I might try and do that today. If it helps my writing I'll do anything! Thanks, Laura!

      Delete
  2. Definitely! I just started grad school yesterday, and I already feel like I'm playing catch-up. I think I just have to make a schedule and adhere to it, otherwise I'm going to let everything get out of control. I do much better when I have a routine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea actually. When I was going through my exams in June and July I made a day schedule and I found it really helped me, so maybe I'll have to bring it back! I agree, it definitely is easier if there's a routine and a set time to it. Thanks for the idea, Steph!

      Delete
  3. So true, Fiona.

    I put aside a chunk of time each day, it doesn't matter how long or short; but I make sure that all I do during that time is write.

    Actually, I should be writing now...

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's a really good method, Bethany. Not only would it become part of a routine but you would know that you were going to get some writing done, no matter how busy your day is. Thanks for sharing, and thanks for visiting!

      Delete