Thursday, 23 August 2012

An Apology and Another Progress Report


Firstly I just want to say how I’m sorry I am for my erratic blog schedule in the last few weeks! Summer and being on holiday has brought up a lot of hurdles for me, and I promise after this week everything should be going straight back to normal. I’m away for the bank holiday weekend, which means it’s unlikely I’ll be able to post on Saturday; however, with everything resuming as normal next week, this means there will be the usual two posts a week on Tuesday and Saturday. 

Now onto the main part of my post! I wanted to do another progress report, simply to share how things are getting along both in my reading and writing. 

I haven’t been reading as much as I’d like to recently, which is annoying. I still have a lot of books I want to get through and not enough time it seems! There’s quite a few books I still have to read which are a part of my university course, and also a few I want to read purely for my own pleasure. In this next month I really want to get that list down, seeing as when I move to university I have no idea how much that will consume my ability to read outside of my course. 

In regards to writing, I’m still working on my project I shared with you all in my Lucky Number Seven post. At the moment the word count is hovering just below 20,000, and I’m starting to get to the real crux of the plot. Prior to this it has been mostly about world building and setting the basis for the main plot, so it’s exciting to be getting into the real heart of the story! I’m really liking my protagonist, Lake, and I love the world I’ve created. 

I’m not really planning this project to be honest. Most of what I write is either thought about minutes before I sit down to write or created as I’m writing. Apart from the start, there has been very little outlining in my process. I think the start was the hardest thing to get through, but now I’m past that it’s become much easier for me to simply sit down and write again, which I love. 

I’m currently reading The Time Machine by H.G. Wells, and I hope to finish that today since it’s such a short novel. I would like to do a chapter on Erase at some point today, but I’m not sure where I’ll fit that in seeing as I’m meant to be leaving for my holiday in a couple of hours. Either way, I’m sure you’ll be hearing more from me, and the progress I’m making both in my reading and writing soon! 

 What are you reading and/or working on?

5 comments:

  1. Congrats on the awesome writing progress, I always love it when I get to the meaty part of a story. I hope it continues to go well for you :)

    I've never read The Time Machine, but it's one I would love to read. How are you enjoying it? I'm currently reading The Near Witch by Victoria Schwab, it's fantastic, the writing is so beautiful.

    Have a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you're doing well on what you're working on too.

      It was really great! It was a nice quick read, and an interesting tale. I didn't expect the ending. I'd definitely recommend it for a future read. Oh wow, that sounds really interesting. I love it when a book is written wonderfully, it makes me want to read it even more than the plot sometimes!

      Thank you, Laura!

      Delete
  2. I'm feeling your pain about the too many books, not enough time stuff. I just read In Cold Blood by Truman Capote and Twelve Angry Men by Regenald Rose in like less than two weeks. I'm a pretty slow reader, and both of these books were for school.

    There's something fun and exciting about writing without planning. That's what's going on with my WIP Katherine at the moment. I have a vague idea of where I'm going, but I'm totally guessing how to get there. If I confuse myself too much, I've promised that I'll write a plan and help myself out. 20,000 words is a good effort though. I haven't reached 10,000 yet!

    The Time Machine. I haven't read it yet. I really should. :)

    Have a nice holiday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. School can take up so much reading time it's unreal. Although it's good to read texts for school I can't say that I don't miss reading purely for my own pleasure in term time.

      I agree, though it does leave a greater chance of you getting stuck half way through! That's a good thing to do, at least if you do get stuck you have a contingency plan to help you get through it. Thank you. It must be a lot harder for you trying to write in term time - school can be such a buzz kill for writing!

      It's really great, I recommend it (if you get the time that is!). Thanks, Bonnee!

      Delete
    2. It's nearly the end of the school year... exam period will be when the buzz kill shows up. I'll have to find time for The Time Machine and other recreational reading :)

      Delete