Saturday, 15 September 2012

Another Progress Report



I’m becoming quite fond of these progress reports. They’re starting to become a bit of a series. Perhaps they should be. Nevertheless, here is what I’ve been up to.

Basically, there’s been zero progress with regards to Erase. However, yesterday in the middle of the night, very typically, my mind found a way to completely solve my plotting issues and whilst not tried and tested yet, it did seem to make sense at 2AM. Let’s hope that translates well into actual writing.

To compensate for this ridiculous writing dry spell, I have instead been doing a lot of reading. I’ve recently finished Mary Barton by Elizabeth Gaskell, which was better than I expected. At times it did seem a little long winded, but I think this was mainly due to the large segments I was reading every day. It is of course a book for my university course, and it was very different to something I would usually read, seeing as it takes place during the Victorian Industrial Revolution. 

I also finished Nice Work by David Lodge today, again a book for my university course, which I absolutely flew through. This was a great book. It’s set during the Thatcher era in 1980’s Britain, and revolves around two characters – Robyn Penrose and Vic Wilcox. At times it seemed like an older, more intricate version of 500 Days of Summer, although a bit different in tone. A good book, although admittedly a little deus ex machina towards the end, but I’m not going to argue with a happy ending.

I’m sorry I didn’t post on Tuesday. It’s been a bit of a strange week, saying goodbye to all my friends, people I’ve worked with and people I’ve known. I don’t leave until next week, so I’ll probably have a lot more of that to go through. Goodbyes are hard! But before long I’ll have met a load of new people and begun my studies, which I’m looking forward to!

How are things for all of you?

1 comment:

  1. Don't you just love it when plot solutions appear when your trying to sleep, its always the way! I'm in a bit of a writing dry spell as well, I have loads of other things to do, but I'm distracted because I want to write, so things just go undone LOL. Been reading a lot as well though, just started Before I Die today, which I'm still unsure of atm.

    I'm sure you'll do great at Uni, it's going to be such a great experience for you :)

    ReplyDelete