Saturday, 13 October 2012

Blogging Schedule Change and NaNoWriMo



Firstly, I apologise for not being very active recently. Those who regularly keep up with Between The Grey will know why, and I think I’m going to change my blogging schedule to once a week, on Saturdays. I hope this will only be temporary, until I find my feet a little more! 

Secondly, the blogosphere is nervous with excitement at the approaching November: I am of course referring to NaNoWriMo. 

I’ve done two NaNoWriMos. The first one I didn’t manage to complete, although I did get an extra 30,000 words on my MS which was just the push I needed for that novel. On my second attempt I won, and by the end of November I’d almost finished that MS. That year I had planned to write something completely different, but changed my mind – I’m still really glad I did change my mind. 

I think NaNoWriMo is a great thing for writers. I’ve heard people say it’s impossible before, which obviously is rubbish. It’s not impossible at all. It’s hard yes, it’s incredibly hard, but if you’re dedicated enough, and your life allows you the time to sit down and write, it’s very much achievable. 

Another reason I love NaNo is for the way it brings together writers. We can all share that common goal in November, the elusive 50,000 words. We can encourage each other, offer advice when things get tough, cheer when somebody you know manages to win. NaNoWriMo is a wonderful thing for the writing community. 

I wish I could do NaNo this year. Erase is yet to be finished, and I’d love to get ten or twenty thousand more words done on it. Perhaps I’ll have a mini NaNo, I’m not sure. 

Are you taking part in NaNoWriMo this year?

2 comments:

  1. I am of course taking part in NaNoWriMo. I hope you do give it a go :) Even if you can only do 20,000 words or something, that's better than nothing.
    I love what you say about having support from other writers, it is one of my favorite things about NaNo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so tempted to do NaNoWriMo this year. I've been listening to people talk about it for a while now and I'm dying to give it a shot, especially this year! But my exams are in November D: -cries forever- And plus, I'm working on a novella that's due in December. So unless I do a mini, I won't be participating. But I am so excited to be reading a post about it and preparing to make my own in the coming weeks too! If time allows, I hope you will do a mini yourself :)

    Take it easy on yourself and update when you can, no pressure. Find your feet and then get back to us in the blogosphere. Best of luck to you :)

    ReplyDelete