Tuesday, 30 October 2012

Pre-NaNo Nerves



Yesterday I decided to re-open Erase, since I haven’t looked at it for a long time, and think about NaNo. I was surprised to find how small – small for me anyway – the word count is. It’s at just over 40,000 words right now. My finishing goal is around 70,000, so it looks like I have to find 30,000 words from somewhere!

I’ve also realised that things aren’t as together in my mind as I thought they were. I really need to start jotting down writing related notes again, because a lot has gone out of my head. I need a direction. Or at least, I feel like I need a direction. Considering I’ve been improvising the majority of Erase, I think I’ve done well to get this far. But now, to get everything together and tie up all the loose ends (if it is to be a standalone) I really need a basic plan. 

To summarise, this month is going to a lot tougher than I thought it would be! But I’m excited to start, and get back into my characters’ heads again. 

What’s your MS/MS plan looking like for NaNo?

4 comments:

  1. I about right there with you when it comes to nerves. While I'm starting a new novel and I have some idea of the beginning, end and some dots in the middle, I don't really feel as prepared as I should be.
    I'm sure you'll be fine though, you've got a great base there to work with :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we'll both have to just wing it at times! But that's where the excitement of it all is. I'm sure you will be absolutely fine too, and thanks! I really love your concept of retelling Snow White, so I can't wait to hear more from you this month.

      Delete
  2. Hope you can find that 30,000 somewhere :) I'm still winging my current MS, but it's not a very complicated storyline (in my opinion, at least), so I should be able to wrap up the lose ends nicely. My NaNo goal is to finish it and then cut it down... because it's already over my word-limit. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely try! Oh that's great. I really hope it all works out how you want. Well it's always easier to cut words than add them! Good luck with it this month, Bonnee (but remember to always put your school work first!).

      Delete