Sunday, 11 November 2012

NaNo Progress Report Two: Stuck in a Rut



Sorry for the belated post – time escaped me yesterday! – but to be honest my progress is no different today than it was yesterday, or for most of the days of the last week. 

I’m stuck in a rut. On Tuesday I spoke of an amazing idea which had gripped me. Well, that amazing idea has turned out to be not so amazing, since I have absolutely no idea where to go with it. I’ve gone to write several times since then, and I only end up staring at my MS, with no motivation to push ahead.

I realise I’m committing a cardinal sin in regards to writer’s block. Nothing will change unless I write myself out of my rut. I haven’t considered taking out my idea, because honestly I think it’s a good one, it’s just I don’t know how I can really integrate it into the rest of my story. 

There’s also another issue which is bothering me, which is character relationships. A while ago I had the idea to reveal a new dimension to the relationship of two main characters, but now I’m really not sure whether to go through with it. I don’t know if it fits for my characters. 

It’s basically the same issue I had with Pure by Julianna Baggott, when I found out Partridge and Pressia were brother and sister when I’d automatically assumed there would be a romantic plot between them. I wasn’t really sure about Pressia’s real love interest, and I was a little disappointed things hadn’t turned out the way I’d expected. 

Perhaps with Erase the only thing to do is try it and see. I mean I could always erase – pun not intended! – that part and alter it when I eventually came to edit it. I could take on the idea of a zero draft, which Laura discussed on her blog earlier this week. 

I guess the main thing is for me to sit down and write. If I don’t do that, then neither of these problems will be able to be resolved. 

How is your NaNo progressing? Do you have any advice in regards to my issues?

2 comments:

  1. Aww thanks for the mention :)
    Anyway in terms of being stuck i a rut, trust me I'm there with you! Time and time again this week I have stared at my manuscript for hours and hours, writing nothing. I think the only thing to do is just write. If you're not sure how to integrate a scene/idea into the main plot then write it separately (in another document or even change the font colour), it adds words for NaNo but can easily be deleted if it doesn't work. Don't let worry that something won't work out stop you from writing it, because if you don't write it then you will be wondering what it could have done for your story.
    Hope things get better soon and you can work your way out of your rut :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I hate writer's block. Well, the worst that can happen is that you write it and then it doesn't work, and then you already know how to solve that; just erase it! Sure sure you didn't intend the pun...

    Hope you can work your way out of that rut.

    ReplyDelete