Saturday, 3 November 2012

NaNoWriMo and the Active Versus the Passive Voice



NaNoWriMo has officially begun! 

I’m off to a good start, already having completed a chapter and written over two thousand words, which is wonderful. Technically, if I write one thousand words a day I’ll be at my target by the end of November, which is 30,000 extra words – or a complete MS – for Erase. I haven’t written yet today, but an idea has literally just occurred to me for the next chapter or two, so it looks like I could be up to three thousand words by the end of today!

I explained to one of my friends, who also writes, about NaNoWriMo and what you have to do, and she says she’s going to give it a go, which is great! I’m really glad I’ve gotten somebody else involved, and like me she has a project she wants to work on, so it’ll be good to see how much progress she’s made by the end of November. It’s her first NaNo, so I’ll be there to encourage her on the way.

In regards to the second part of this post’s title, I’m having a little difficulty with the active versus the passive voice. It’s not just with my NaNo project, but anything I go to write. I have a really bad habit of always falling into the passive voice. It comes so easily to me, and I want to write in the passive, but I know it’s so much better for my stories – and for me – to write in the active. So that’s something which is consistently on my mind whilst writing. But other than that, I haven’t had any real issues so far.

How is NaNo going for you so far? 

4 comments:

  1. Glad you are doing so well with NaNo! I've just rounded the 8K corner. As for active vs passive, I have no idea what I write in (probably a bad thing) but it isn't really something I think about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's really great, Laura, well done! It's good in a way, because now I've started thinking about it I can't really stop. It's so much easier to not think about it and write in the passive.

      Delete
  2. Being a science major, I find myself writing in passive voice A LOT. The subject isn't really mentioned. It's just standard for science writing, so I have change my way of thinking. But mostly I write in passive and then clean it up during revisions :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see how that would become a habit, that sucks! But at least it's something you're aware of. The worst thing would be having somebody else point it out to you, and having to reconsider your writing style. I think editing it out after is the route I might take in regards to it too.

      Delete